Tuesday, November 1, 2011

HOW DO YOU WRITE






We have finally moved into our new place. This is great for a number of reasons, the most obvious being I am no longer being Dutch ovened on a regular basis by three males in a 3 x 3 metre motel room.  The other bonus is that I have somewhere to sit down and write.


And I kind of took this for granted, the whole sitting down, being able to concentrate and having my own space thing.  
Although to be honest I have mostly always written in front of the TV, laptop resting on my knees with kids and phone calls and conversations whirring around my head.  You know that sound a message makes when it is sent on an iPhone?  I didn’t either until a couple of days ago, but that sound is exactly what I hear in my head when something gets done.  And of late, I haven’t heard it a lot.  Mainly because nothing much has been getting done.


But today, I found this waiting for me in our bedroom. 









To appreciate this you need to know the layout of our new place.  It’s a three story townhouse. Bottom floor living and kitchen. Second level, two bedrooms for the kids and top is a loft style room complete with elevated step that has a massive window on the roof. To look at the stars through or listen to the rain on.  Quite simply, if I can’t find inspiration to write up there, I suck. 


I also went for a run today for the first time in eons.  I found possibly the prettiest part of Kew by accident and this lane which although I will more than likely snap my ankle on, I will make sure I run up every day because it’s a little bit magical. 





Plus, this isn’t too shabby to run past either.  I miss the water, I do, but this is what we came here for, to experience the exact opposite.



Yes. It is as cold as it looks.



I’ve also started listening to these guys a bit.






So where do you write? How do you write? Where do you get your inspiration from?  Does scenery, music or position play a part? 

21 comments:

Jayne Kearney said...

You have a room of one's own. So happy for you, beautiful. Write and write well xxx

Mrs Woog said...

I have my lady room, looking out onto the goings on in our street and watching the council workers book cars for parking longer than allowed. Welcome to city living Bern!

Carly Findlay said...

Glad you've settled in :)
I write with the laptop on my lap, in front of tv. I also text things onto my phone - whole blog posts and letters have been written that way.
I like that band, thank you :)

Life In A Pink Fibro said...

Hooray! It looks great. Would love a skylight like that, a lane like that and a view like that!

I write in my office. I tried the laptop thing in exotic spaces - like the library - and it didn't work at all. I'm a creature of habit.

bigwords is... said...

So wonderful to read your words again. There is something amazing about finally finding that little bit of you time after moving. You know, when you finally feel "normal" again.

I didn't know you ended up living in Kew? I used to live a suburb over in Ivanhoe. There are some great places around there. Give me a call soon and I can point you in the direction some great spots, but I'm sure you've found many already. Enjoy! xx

E. said...

I'm doing NaNoWriMo so I will be reading all your comments to get inspiration.

But it's lovely that you have a new house, great writing space and pretty new places to run. Enjoy.

Sam Ryan said...

That skylight is freaking awesome!

Finding somewhere to harness productivity is my biggest issue at the moment. Shared housemate space, in bed or at work ... none ideal

GourmetGirlfriend said...

Welcome to our lovely city Bern. We are thrilled to ave you and thrilled you are already finding the beauty....
xx

John James said...

...at work at my desk...(because that's where I'm paid to sit and write)

...at home on the lounge...because, like Homer Simpson, I live on the lounge...

Jessica Fichera said...

I lock myself in my room (so my brother doesn't barge in and show me something he built in Minecraft), close the blinds and turn off the lights and jump in bed with my laptop.

I usually write anytime between 10pm to 2am.

Sometimes I light candles.

Naomi said...

When we moved I quickly bagged the sunroom as my space. It loks out over the gardens and down into a gully where chestnut and oak trees give way to massive gums. Beautiful, inspirational, just the place to write. I put the desk in there and shut the door. Then got out the laptop and sat in the kitchen.

The sunroom is great, but arse freezingly cold, what with all those windows to let the sun in. You remember the sun Bern?

PS I have lane way envy. What a place to run.

Mum on the Run said...

Lovin' your sweet spot and your lane.
The light above your desk is quite heavenly.
I wonder if you'll start writing poetry and theology now??!
Enjoy.
:-)

Diminishing Lucy said...

Oh Bern, I feel better now you are settled and safe.

I too am a creature of habit. My writing gets done at my desk, upstairs, with my views.

Commenting on blogs and Twitter and dealing with spamfuckery emails gets done via crappy lappy in the kitchen, in chaos. Like now.

xx

Kelley @ magnetoboldtoo said...

you are living in Kew?

I lived there once, beautiful lovely place. You will love it.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Thats a great spot for writing.

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading some of your work from that new place that you can truly call your own...
I'm not familiar with the three-boy-dutch-oven life, but I do my writing and taking phone calls while little miss fours are hanging off my arms.

Twitchy said...

So happy for you. Sucking the marrow out of life, 'n' all :) And if anyone tries to Dutch oven you in your new space, you have the skylight release. xxx

MaidInAustralia said...

Years ago, I wrote in my head, walking on the beach from Burleigh to beyond. I don't live there any more so I've learned to do it wherever I get the chance. It does help having a designated spot though and I love yours. That laneway and view is heaven too. Glad you are settling in, looking forward to reading more soon. xo

Alice Shaw said...

Wow.. great photos! And very cool desk. I write in a big chair with my lap top.. I do hope to have my own little spot one day though. Loving hearing about your Melbourne adventures, as you have no doubt realised I miss Melboure a lot (except for hook turns) so it's great to hear about my old hometown again :-)

bailey j said...

I don't think I've ever written (at least not for my blog) away from my couch or bed. I do most of and my best writing late at night/early in the morning. I think this would be because I have had all these thoughts in my head all day or maybe even a few days and once everyone is asleep and i have nothing to do but be one with my thoughts it all kind of spurts out the way i want it to into my blog. i get super into my writing zone around 1am haha.

Galvanize Press said...

There's a little huddle of a desk that fits precisely at the end of the breakfast bar. I have a magnetic noticeboard on the wall to my left, with all my inspiring bits and quotes on it. On the wall in front is a series of little bookshelves my husband considers ridiculously small, considering the number of books I own. But I have my favourites and a few keepsakes from friends on them. The glass sliding door is behind me, which is perfect because so is the view, but it lets in great light. The only problem with my little writing nook is that it's too close to the kitchen. I think I've racked up three cups of tea this morning.